Canada Border Services Agency uniform and crest

Canada/US Border Crossing

US Border Crossing – Joining the communities of Fort Frances and International Falls, Minnesota the border crossing rarely experiences delays.  Click here to link directly to the CBSA website for additional information.

Border Crossing Requirements

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you will not need a passport or visa to enter Canada. However, you will need proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, citizenship certificate, passport or landing card.

Bringing your boat across the border

You may enter Canada aboard your pleasurecraft or with it hitched to a trailer. Customs officers stationed along highway border crossings and at harbours will issue you a permit, which is then returned upon departure as proof that the boat has left the country. Many destinations offer Remote Area Border Crossings, which require you to register by telephone.

Federal Harbours (Ontario) available from:

Customs Border Service Canada
Toll Free: 1-800-461-98999 (information)
36 Adelaide Street East
Second Floor East Tower
Toronto, Ontario M5C 1J7
Phone: (416) 973-973-8027 or (416) 9733239
Fax: (416) 954-9241

Firearms and Munitions

As a rule, prohibited or restricted weapons are not permitted to enter Canada. However, you may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario as a visitor for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older. For complete details, contact:

Chief Provincial Firearms Office
Toll Free: 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662
Fax: (705) 329-7660