Council of the Town of Fort Frances adopted its new strategic plan on November 9, 2020. The Strategic Plan will provide direction to staff and residents on the vision that Council has for the future of the community for the rest of this term of Council until November 2022.
Download a printable version of the Strategic Plan here:
In preparing this document, a number of consultation sessions were undertaken. These sessions included:
- Preliminary planning session with the senior management team.
- Retreat with Senior Managers and Council at Sunny Cove.
- Planning session with Superintendents and Supervisors.
- Planning session with Community Partners.
- Planning session with First Nations community partners.
- Planning session with Economic Development Advisory Committee.
- Public consultation session.
During this process we received excellent feedback, and a number of well thought out ideas from everyone who participated. We would also like to thank the following organizations for their feedback, and participation in the process:
- Fort Frances Power Corporation
- Rainy River Future Development Corporation
- Rainy River District Social Services Administration Board
- Riverside Healthcare Facilities Inc.
- Rainy River District School Board
- Confederation College
- Seven Generations Education Institute
- Nigigoonsiminikaaning First Nation
- Northern Community Development Services
Purpose of the Plan
Strategic Planning is essential to the success of any organization. This planning exercise is intended to develop a strategic plan that accomplishes the following:
- Provide Clarity – Having a strategic plan in place assures focused, proactive decision making. This plan will guide decisions by both Council and management going forward.
- Ensure Coordination – By defining objectives, it assures that everyone is working towards the same goals.
- Improve Efficiency – Daily decision making is guided by the Strategic Plan.
- Assist with adjustment to change – A strategic plan with a clear vision, and clear objectives helps to support change management.
- Direct capacity building – When the organization knows where it intends to go, it is much easier to direct capacity building and talent management. It allows the organization to better align the competencies of its workforce with the strategic direction of the organization.
- Ensure greater transparency and accountability. A strategic plan provides a roadmap for decision making. A wide variety of stakeholders and the general public will have had an opportunity to participate in the development of the plan. Once completed, the plan is made public, and will be available on the Town’s website.
Mission, Vision, Values
The Town of Fort Frances will be a welcoming community with Boundless opportunities.
Through partnerships we will create a safe, inclusive, sustainable and attractive community that enhances quality of life and promotes growth and prosperity.
Stewardship: We act to ensure that our community and our services can be enjoyed now and by future generations.
Collaboration: We work together within our organization, with our community and with our area partners to achieve our goals and create a better future for all.
Inclusivity and Equity: We strongly believe that our community and our organization should be inclusive, equitable, and that everyone should be able to participate.
Proactive Planning: We plan for the future to give us the best opportunity to achieve our goals, sustain levels of service, reduce emergency repairs, and utilize our financial resources in the most efficient manner.
Safety and Security: Working together with our community partners, we work to ensure a safe, secure community for all of our residents.
Fostering Growth: Working with our partners, we will help to put the conditions in place to foster economic growth in our community.
Managing Change: We will employ effective change management techniques to ensure that we are able to meet our strategic goals and adapt to an ever-changing world.
Creativity: We encourage our leaders to exercise critical thinking skills and use their imagination to find solutions to the challenges facing our community and our organization.
Service Oriented: Our leadership, and our staff understand that the top priority of Corporation of the Town of Fort Frances is to provide high quality service to our community.
Personal Growth: We promote personal growth so that our staff and our leaders can achieve their full potential. We are committed to a culture of continuous improvement, and continuous learning.
Effective Communication: We endeavour to communicate with our staff, our stakeholders and our community in a manner that is easily understood. We understand that listening is a critical component of effective communication.
Transparency: We commit to holding open meetings, providing access to the pubic and to be forthcoming with the media when conducting our business.
Responsible Leadership: We are responsible to the residents of our community, and our stakeholders. Our leaders are accountable for their actions and take ownership.
Community and youth engagement: We will work to engage all residents of our community regardless of their age.
Working Conditions: We will be fair, professional, and consider the best interests of our community and our organization when hiring staff. We will create a positive workplace culture and climate, offer fair remuneration, and provide opportunities for ongoing learning and development.
Fiscal responsibility and sustainability: We will operate in a fiscally responsible manner that provides for ongoing operational sustainability. We understand that being fiscally responsible means ensuring that we operate with a long term vision to ensure the next generation has the same opportunities that we do today.
Workplace safety: We commit to providing a safe workplace for all of our staff, and to provide training to our staff and leaders that ensure they can protect themselves and those under their supervision.