Marriage Licence

Getting married in Fort Frances?


An authorized official needs to marry you to ensure that a marriage is performed properly and legally. There are two types of marriage ceremonies performed in Ontario:


Before you get married you need a marriage license. Please fill out, print and sign this marriage application form to obtain a marriage license. Marriage Application Form (PDF)


When you get married outside of Ontario, your marriage won’t be registered in the province. You need to follow the marriage license requirements from the place you intend to get married.


Check with the Canadian representative in the country you want to get married in. You may need to prove that you are not currently married and you may be required to apply for a marriage search letter.


  1. In Ontario, there are no residency or citizenship requirements or blood tests and medical certificates requirements in order to obtain a marriage licence.    However, you will be required to certify information under oath. Bring an interpreter to assist you if you do not understand or are not able to read English.

  2. Marriage Licences are valid for use anywhere in Ontario for 90 days from the date of issue.


In accordance with the Marriage Act, people 18 years of age and above can a marriage licence provided the completed application and additional required information is submitted.

If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you must submit a completed Consent of Parent or Guardian to Marriage Form signed by both parents or legal guardians when you apply for a marriage licence. You can also get a paper copy from the Municipal Clerk’s Office.

Marriage Consent Form (PDF)


Each person applying for the marriage licence must provide 2 pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) from the list below:

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies, scanned images or pictures on electronic devices).

  • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth.

  • Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID that are presenting.

  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.

  • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.

  • If the ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.

  • Health cards, S.I.N. cards and Refugee Protection Claimant Documents will not be accepted.

  • Expired identification will not be accepted.

Please see HERE for other examples of government issued ID.


  1. You must hand call the Clerk's office to make an appointment

  2. You must have the completed and signed marriage application form to hand in

  3. Both or just one applicant needs to come in for the appointment

  4. If only one applicant is attending, you must show the required original ID or documentation for your absent partner.


Canadian Divorce

If you were granted a divorce in Canada from a previous marriage, you must bring one of the following with your marriage licence application:

  • Original Certificate of Divorce
  • Decree Absolute


  • Court –certified true copy of either document

Do not bring these documents, as they are not acceptable:

  • Photocopies of documents

  • Divorce Judgement

  • Divorce Order

  • Decree Nisi issued by the Court

Divorce Outside of Canada

If you annulled or dissolved your previous marriage outside of Canada, you must get permission from the Office of the Registrar General before we issue you a marriage licence.

To get permission, you or your lawyer must send the following by mail to

Office of the Registrar General

P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road

Thunder Bay, Ontario  P7B 6L8

One of:

  • The original Certificate of Divorce

  • the Decree Absolute

  • Court-certified copy of these documents. A court-certified copy means certified by the proper court office in the jurisdiction that granted the divorce or annulment.

If the documents are not in English or French include a translated copy with an affidavit sworn by the translator.

  • Statement of Sole Responsibility signed by both applicants for each divorce signed by both applicants. Get a paper copy at the Clerk’s Office or online at the Registrar General of Ontario. Statement of Sole Responsibility (PDF)

  • A legal opinion from an Ontario lawyer addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario.


When you get married, you don’t have to legally change your last name (surname). You can assume your spouses surname. If you would like to change your name you can:

  • Change your last name to your spouse’s last name

  • Use your spouse’s last name alone or hyphenated with your last name

  • You can use your spouse’s legal last name without legally changing your name, as long as it not for fraudulent purposes.

Legally change your name to your spouse’s legal last name

  • Change your last name within 90 days of your marriage for free

  • This does not change your last name on your birth certificate.

If you choose to have a hyphenated last name you can also select the order that they appear.

If you decide to change your surname, it is your responsibility to change your name with all relevant government departments and agencies.

To Change Your Last Name, You will Need:

A marriage certificate is a record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.

A record of solemnization of marriage is not the same as a marriage certificate.

Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered. The official who performed the marriage will do this by sending a complete and signed marriage licence to Service Ontario. You can order a marriage certificate about 12 weeks after this happens.

If you are unsure if you need a file sized certificate or certified certificate, please check with the Ministry, government agency, or person requesting the document before you order.

The obtainment of a Marriage Licence is by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call the Town Office on 807 274-5323.